Tenacious DUI Attorney Defending Mount Vernon Residents Accused of Drunk Driving
Driving drunk or under the influence of controlled substances is dangerous and illegal, yet we are all vulnerable to making mistakes and those facing charges deserve fair treatment in court. We help our clients understand all possible ramifications of a DUI conviction and advise them through the legal process. No matter what your situation might be, we’re here to help.
What are Possible DUI Penalties?
Sentences for DUI charges hinge primarily on a) whether or not you’ve had prior DUI convictions, b) how old you were when stopped, and c) what your Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) was or whether or not you consented to a field test. Below are the potential penalties for people convicted of DUI:
- Persons over 21 without any prior DUIs in the last seven years who blow a BAC between 0.08 and 0.15% can face a 90-day license suspension, between 1 and 364 days in jail, and/or fines between $940 and $5,000.
- Persons over 21 without any prior DUIs in the last seven years who blow a BAC higher than 0.15% may face a one-year license suspension, between 2 and 364 days in jail, and/or fines between $1,195.50 and $5,000.
- Persons who refuse a BAC test may be subject to a two-year license suspension and up to a year in jail.
- Persons under 21 may be convicted of DUI if a BAC test is 0.02% or higher.
- Commercial drivers may be convicted of a DUI if a BAC test is 0.04% or higher.
Although convictions and penalties vary on a case-by-case basis, most DUI convictions result in a license suspension of 90 days to two years and fines.
How Does Working with a Criminal Defense Lawyer Help Me?
When we represent a client facing a DUI conviction, we employ several strategic techniques throughout the process. First, we request all evidence from your arrest and search for any evidence that law enforcement may have violated standard operating procedures or your rights. We use the positive contributions you make to the community, a good driving record, and other things as leverage to get you the best possible outcome.
Each case is different, but our many years of experience fighting DUI charges has given us the effective defense tools to cater to your unique situation. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any concerns you have about your upcoming trial.